Wednesday 11 December 2013

Tough or Easy?

Last week I had been to my cousin's wedding in Mumbai. On my way back yesterday, I was waiting for the flight to board at the airport. Mumbai being Mumbai, within twenty minutes, I was feeling thirsty. I looked around and headed to the crowded ( another characteristic of Mumbai) snack counter. Since there was a huge line, I thought, let me look and see if I like any of the soft drinks before joining the queue. While I was lost in my thoughts, a lady, well dressed and educated standing in the line looks at me and says haughtily, "excuse me, there is a line, you have to join". And this when I was nowhere near the line. I was stupefied for a minute. Then the lioness in me woke up, but it was too late. The "line lady" had turned back and the moment was lost.

I found this incident very difficult to forget. I had a lot of good memories of the time I spent with my extended family on this trip, but this one totally unimportant and meaningless incident overshadowed my mind for a very long time. A niece's smile, a nephew's lisping rendition of Johnny Johnny rhymes, shared laughter with cousins, pulling each other's leg and just being with family. On the plane, I realized that it is so tough to forget some things but there are so many good memories that are washed away.

This incident brought about one more thought to my mind, it is so easy to be rude, to curse, to hurt and so tough to be nice, to compliment, to heal. And being human, we all choose to do the easy things. When I was standing there in the airport cafe, it would have been easy for her to be nice, easier to ignore the girl lost in her own world next to her but she chose to presume the worst and be rude to her. Maybe, the lady's actions were a result of tension or stress in her life, but is that any excuse to take it on an unsuspecting person?How many times, have we done the same thing, been obnoxious while being cordial was equally possible, where with no or little provocation we have spoiled some stranger's mood?

I have promised myself today that even if I cannot forget the negativity around me, I will not allow it to overshadow the sunshine and happiness that all my beloved people spread in my life :):) So, the lady who yelled at me in a crowded airport, you actually taught me something! Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there,

Thanks for visiting. What do you think of this post? Do share your thoughts, I would love to hear from you: