Tuesday 10 February 2015

The food tag- Meme and a food ramble

To keep up with the Rambling prompt I have resorted to cheating. Cheating times two if you think about it! Eeh!
Cheating 1: This was supposed to be one rambling per day, but thanks to yours truly and her laziness I am still playing catch up on the posts. This is post four :(
Cheating 2: This ramble is going to contain a food  tag that I read from a blog that I stalk  and love.
Cooking is something I got interested in only after marriage. Oh I did know the perfunctory tea, coffee, chapathi, 2 types of side dishes and basic rice varieties like lemon rice etc but as the PC tries to tell me again and again, In theory there is no difference between theory and practice; but in practice, there is. Which we learnt the hard way, that is a story for another time :)

Lets go ahead to the meme:
1. What is the first dish that you cooked?
I had made dry aloo subzi when i was in school. I remember my Anna (elder brother) ate it with so much gusto that I decided to be his life long fan after that :) which I still am :):) 

2. What is the first dish that you cooked for your better half? (If you are not married, you can tell us what you are planning to cook for him/her)?
Well here, I played safe. I did not cook for him till we got married, though the PC kept asking me to. Now I can safely accept that it was partly because I was scared of scaring him off with my then dismally limited cooking skills. He of course, claims that nothing could scare him away , sweet man that he is! After we got married and came back from his parents house I made dal for him, which he dutifully slurped :):)
3. Which food were you reserved to try first but then liked later it since you acquired the taste?
Amaranth Leaves. I used to hate the smell of these leaves cooking, but the PC has made me learn to like (not love, mind you!) stuff made with these leaves
4. What is your comfort food?
Can think of so many dishes that can comfort me right now!
Chapathis and aloo subzi like how my mom makes, with a generous pinch of hing
Dal, rice and a simple dry subzi
Rajma chawal
5. Which dish of yours you like the best?
Jeera rice, rajma, akki rotti, pasta with white sauce
6. Which dish of yours your family likes the best?
The PC likes aloo palak, paneer matar and garlic rolls and cakes made by me!
7. What is your favorite street food?
Different strokes from different places:
Delhi: Aloo tikki, pani puri, jalebi.. yum!!
Mumbai: Pav bhaaji, sev puri
Bangalore: Nippat chat (only place that I have eaten it)
8. Tell us about any of your kitchen disaster story.
I once told the PC that he is in for a treat as I was making dhokla (gram flour savory cakes) for the evening snack. I kept the batter in the cooker but then got so busy making the chutney that I forgot to turn off the cooker. Long story short, burnt besan (gram flour) is not a sweet smell!! 
9. Any one or two food confessions ;-) ;-)
I love love love chocolates. I can probably eat an entire pack of Lindt truffles in a couple of days.
I dislike eating rice at night. Not for any diet related reasons, just dislike it. I know its considered blasphemy to hail from the south of India and not love rice, but there you go, normally contrary me!
10. Apart from basic stuff, like milk, yogurt, veggies what you have in your fridge or in pantry? (Name any 3 items)
Dosa batter, leftover cake, eggs, Jam
11. Any food related or cooking resolutions for this year?
Nothing in particular, but I realize its high time I started making healthier choices in food
12. In our custom when you goto Kasi, you need to give up one of your favorite veggie and fruit. So you cannot eat that veggie or fruit from then on. Which one you would you give up? (It should be your favorite one)
Favorite fruit is mango and favorite veggie is okra. But I do not think I would be able to give up these things for long
13. You need to prepare a 3 course meal for a party? What dishes will be there in your menu?

Pumpkin soup and cheese corn balls
Mango soda
Pasta with 3 sauces- white, red and pesto
Garlic bread
Chocolate cake with icecream

If this tag interests you and you haven’t taken it up already, please feel free to do so! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there,

Thanks for visiting. What do you think of this post? Do share your thoughts, I would love to hear from you: