Friday 6 February 2015

Book review- Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn

Since I have decided to join the rambling wagon started by Shail (of Shailsnest) this month and I am I am already lagging behind on a couple of posts, I thought, why not ramble about one of the few good books I read in 2014: Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.

I have been hearing about this book from a lot of sources: my friends, the blogs I stalk, goodreads, social networking sites, you get the picture, but somehow, though, I had this book in my Kindle, I never got around to reading it. It was only after I heard from the PC about the movie that my curiosity was finally piqued. I got to reading it and my reading being a million times faster than my writing, I finished reading it in a night. Okay, enough about me, lets get talking about the book; because after all, this is a book review!

Gone Girl is a book that starts with a interesting premise. A beautiful, intelligent, city-bred and discontent wife disappears on her fifth wedding anniversary from her small town home, in what seem like suspicious circumstances. As the book progresses, the husband is considered as the main suspect due to his seeming indifference to the wife's abduction, his inability to explain his whereabouts on the morning of the incident lots of other pieces of circumstantial evidence. In addition, the wife has devised a treasure hunt to rekindle the spark that his fizzed out of their romance. The husband Nick Dunne is clueless and evasive about their relationship. Conflicting accounts, lies and evasions of the Dunne marriage escalate the suspicion on Nick who is desperately searching for his wife.

I have read several reviews of this book (from the many sources I mentioned earlier) and so I knew the plot before hand, but once I started reading, I could not put this book down. The book is written in alternate POV, making the narration all the more interesting. The suspense, the thought process that has gone into every scene, twist, turn kept me hooked till the end. It is one of those books that make you look at the world and the people around you in a different way.

This is the first book I have read from this author, and I can not wait to devour more of her books. I would say, if you like suspense, and have not already seen the movie Gone Girl (isn't Ben Affleck so ultra cute!!) go ahead and pick this book. It does not have spies, takeovers and international politics but shows us that marriage can sometimes be the biggest power struggle.      
                          

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there,

Thanks for visiting. What do you think of this post? Do share your thoughts, I would love to hear from you: