Saturday 19 October 2013

Why should one write?

Since childhood, I have had a worship for all things literary. Any free time on my hands and I would curl up with a book. Sometimes, during summer holidays, after exhausting my share of books from the local library, I would beg my brother to get some books for me. This love for books soon moved to writing snippets of prose and poetry during high school years.

But as time passed and I started feeling the pressure of making grades for a good college, then cracking the interview for the perfect company and finally maintaining all the deadlines which are a part and parcel of every IT story. And then the little connection that I had to writing slowly leaked out of my life. Things did not change after marriage, but rather, I got a convenient excuse whenever I asked myself, "Why am I not writing?" Frankly, where is the time I said to myself. Work and learning how to maintain a home, despite being a Daddy's little princess ( more about that some other time) has completely engulfed my life. So one fine day, when I was going through one of many inspirational blogs I realised that I have been hiding myself from the reality of writing. Of putting my thoughts into words. 

I had created this blog during one of those upbeat moods while going through old poems,I thought that my creativity or lack there of should be out there in the world and not just a page in my well worn notebook. But I did not post anything old or new on this blog because I was scared, what if no one reads my blog, or what if people read it and hate it? And why start something without knowing if I have the time to go through with it. Why should I write?

Today, I had an epiphany. I have read a lot on the internet so far. Some of it really good, some in my honest opinion could use some improvement but at least there are other people who have the guts to go tell the world what they are thinking. So, moving on to the epiphany, it does not matter if no one likes what I am writing, it does not matter if no one reads (well to tell the truth, it does matter,but lets look at the bigger picture here) what matters is that when I write, I am sharing a part of myself, creating something that has my stamp on it. And like chopping onions, it might be unbearably tearful in the beginning, but with time I can only get better. 

Dear reader, you came across this page while just checking the net and like me nurse an insatiable love for writing but have been wondering when and how to take the plunge into writing, believe me, there is no better time than now. And if like normally contrary me, you have also overcome the indecision and fear or being unheard, do share your story with me, I can always do with new inspiration.

Till next time,

Cheers!



1 comment:

  1. Glad that you're back here. Heard or unheard, decorate your place with your creativity.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there,

Thanks for visiting. What do you think of this post? Do share your thoughts, I would love to hear from you: